
John found this picture in a book called, "Iwo Jima Recon: The U.S. Navy at War". He thought it looked like Dad. Jeff, Mom and I all agree that it is in fact Dad. He's the barrel chested guy in the front right hand side. Is that cool or what??? Mom is taking the book with her to Dad's military reunion in 2 weeks to see if they can identify anyone else in the picture.
Just to clarify, Dad was not in Iwo Jima. Those involved Teams 12, 13, 14 and 15. Dad was in UDT Team 10 which operated primarily in the Philippines.
In the process of researching the picture I found a book called, "Operative, Spies and Saboteurs: The Unknown Story of the Men and Women of WWII's OSS". It has a chapter on UDT and specifically discusses the activity of Team 10. It quotes one of Dad's team mates, Robert Kenworthy, recalling his first mission. I thought of the few entries in Dad's military journal that covered the time period mentioned in the book. Mom said I can borrow the journal and scan the entries to put on the blog. Perhaps I'll enter it after Mom returns and in honor of Dad's birthday. He made a birthday entry in his journal.
UDT Frogman- Dad's in a book!
Posted by
Sydney
0 comments:
Post a Comment