It never rains but it pours

Jeremy and Kristy have had their problems with cars, ours has been with leaky water pipes, in the ceiling. All out water pipes run through the ceiling area between floors from the garage to all but one of the bathrooms and kitchen. About the end of November late one evening I stepped onto the carpet near a pillar that supports the second floor loft and left a big, wet footprint in the carpet. We noticed that the floor was soaked for about 4' in diameter. Cherryl then noticed that the paint on the top of the pillar was blistering and the ceiling in the dining room was wet and dripping. Long story short, one of the pipes had sprung a leak and we had to cut a big hole in the ceiling, call a plumber to fix it, then the insurance company came, assessed the damage and ran big fans for several days to dry everything out. Then we got to haggle over the cost of repairing the damage. We looked into repiping the house (almost all the homes in our neighborhood have had it done) but the cost was WAY too high to do now. We were almost finished fixing the ceiling when on Friday evening Kyle and Cherryl noticed there were drops of water forming on the ceiling in the family room.
Saturday I cut into the ceiling (It was so wet I could have done it with a butter knife) and found a very small, slow pinhole leak there. It had gone on long enough that the drywall was soaked and in pretty bad shape. Now we have a huge hole in that room and we get to start all over again with the insurance company. I have a feeling that it would be cheaper for them to pay for the cost of repiping than to continue to fix the leaks that will surely come. At the same time I'm grateful for insurance, and it could be a lot worse; we could have lived on Camp Plenty Road during the Buckweed fire.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments:

Sydney January 13, 2008 at 8:31 PM  

I'm so sorry Gordon! Having water damage last April, I can relate to the frustration. Good luck.

Kristy January 14, 2008 at 5:56 PM  

Way to go on your positive outlook.

Anonymous January 14, 2008 at 6:06 PM  

When John & I had been married a couple of years we lived in a very old apartment complex in Fremont, CA (bay area). We had some real heavy rains one night and apparently the flat roof couldn't take it. Needless to say we had numerous drips coming through our diningroom ceiling. Not enough pans and bowls. So John rigged up some black garbage bags, taping them to the ceiling so the water would funnel down into three different pots. Our ceiling looked like it was wearing bloomers; but it did the trick until the landlord could fix the roof. (Is that pronounced rooooof or ruff?:)

Photostream

Recent Comments

Followers