2008 Dia de los Muertos


This year Mom, Jeff and Devon (wearing a stylin' hat), Sydney and Logan joined me to celebrate Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)  at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.  We started at my house and made our own alter honoring our loved ones and friends that have passed on.  I explained the alters, the holiday traditions and what to expect so hopefully they wouldn't be afraid of anything they saw and to understand that this is intended to be a joyous celebration.  Oh, and we ate minicupcakes to celebrated Jeff's birthday.
Photograph were difficult to take.  It was pitch black so you never really quite knew if you had anything framed well and it was crowded!  Almost impossible to get pictures without strangers standing in them.  
This was one of the performance stages set over a lake.  It was really beautiful.  On the side of the building they were projecting colored light patterns that looked like the paper cutouts that they use on the alters to represent wind.  At the end of this post I've added a video of a performance at this stage to give a little  sense of scale.
This is one of two 15-20 foot skeletons that stand guard over the door to the mausoleum.

I love this picture.  It's one of two skeletons that are sitting in boats on the lake.  On the right are groups of candles that also are floating along but in this picture they've already burnt out.  When lit they add a beautiful effect.


More papermache figures, however Logan, Devon and Sydney are very real.  Below is a video of some of the dance performances.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments:

Aimee November 3, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

I've wanted to go for years. They had a couple up hear but as you can imagine they aren't near as fantastic

Anonymous November 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM  

All the pictures are fantastic!!!
As always - wish I was there.

Kristy November 10, 2008 at 3:35 PM  

I LOVE all these pictures! I'm so bummed that we were all sick, we were really looking forward to going this year :(

Also, I just posted more mini clips on my Etsy site and I will posting even more this week.

-Kristy

Photostream

Recent Comments

Followers