I wanted to show some of the buildings in downtown that I have an attachment to. However, I never seem to get the hang of downloading these pictures in the order I want.
So, in reverse order that I intended: this is the Cal Trans Building which was designed by Thom Payne, a Pritzker Prize winning architect based here in Santa Monica. The building is included in many architect tours and touted for it's innovated approach to environmental concerns and sustainable architecture. It may not look like much from this shot but it includes the south facade being covered with photovoltaic cells that supply 5% of the buildings energy. The side of the building we're looking at has a glass skin that is covered with aluminum panels. The panels open and close mechanically timed with the movement of the sun shielding the interior from direct sunlight but allowing for views to the outside. Are you asleep yet? Remember this is working backward. Originally you could have been awake now.
BTW- the crowds in the streets were the comrades marching for the May Day Protests. And yes, it was taken from the "unofficial" observation deck that Brad and I discovered.
When I was a kid, I always called it The Carrot Building because the design always made me think of a carrot standing upright. At that time Los Angeles had a building height restriction of, I believe, 13 stories because of our earthquake threats. The result was a pretty flat and boring skyline. As a child, when we would drive into downtown two buildings were the most prominent and tallest: city hall and this little carrot building.
As building technique improved, the height restrictions were released and now my little carrot building is swallowed up and very difficult to see.

THE END
2 comments:
Since Syd posted this we figured out it is the Pac Bell microwave transmission tower built in tyhe early 60's
Built in 1961 and for many years it was THE tallest building in Los Angeles.
Post a Comment