bon appetit

Listening to Evan Klieman on Good Food while I clean house. She's interviewing Rick Bayless, celebrity chef, and at the moment they are discussing regional cuisine and the pride people take in such. Got me thinking... what is the Risser "regional" cuisine?

The first things that popped in my head: cranberry jello, green pineapple/cottage cheese jello, mom's potato salad, Welsh rarebit, Saturday morning french toast/pancakes, homemade doughnuts made from pre-made biscuit dough, dad's stuffed green peppers, avacado sandwiches or guacamole made from avocados from Aunt Bobbie's tree, Sunday night grilled cheese sandwiches (velveeta?) with tomato soup while watching the Wonderful World of Disney preceded by Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom- thank you Marlin Perkins! Then there were the famous Risser sized bowls of ice cream... any ice cream
Third Generation keeping the tradition alive- go Matix, go!

I know there's more out there, so let's hear from the very few of you who still check into the blog. What would you list as our/your families "regional" cuisine?


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

6 comments:

Anonymous July 17, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

I'm hungry:O
I think you covered it ALL and then some. I love your 'memory walks' - jolts my brain in such a very good way:)
John's family only had a single scoop of ice cream in a small cup and he attempted to teach our children that method. On one of Gordon's business trips in the Philly area he spent the weekend with us and we had ice cream. I put regular bowls out (although John still insisted on small servings) and told Gordon to go first and help himself (yeah - I set him up). The kids eyes popped out of their heads and said, "Wow! Can we have our ice cream like that?" Gordon looked stunned and said, "Did I do something wrong?" I just laughed and said "absolutely not" and let the kids follow in their Uncle Gordon's footsteps. I don't think Jacob ever went back to the 'Ashley bowls'.

Jennifer July 17, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

I think we all have been shocked that everyone else eats such small bowls of ice cream. Some of my friends still can't get over it but lucky for me Daniel was an easy convert.

Mom's roast leg of lamb with all the side, artichoke, couscous ect. Then for Christmas eve you have to make both clam chowder and roasted red pepper soup. Although making both soups is a lot four our little family I can't help but do it.

Aimee July 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

Um..Everyone I know needs to be trained on a Risser sized portion of ice cream. I'm not sure what's wrong with the world. My husband doesn't eat a lot of sweets but if I get the right flavor, he's in. So, abbelskeevers? (I sounded it out I know it's not spelled right) and crepes for christmas breakfast. Deep fried Turkey for Christmas to name two

Sydney July 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Yeah Aim, I was actually thinking of your mothers traditional food. Always wanted to go to your holiday meals. You forgot Lamb for easter. Yum.

Eddie July 21, 2010 at 1:25 AM  

So... you're not supposed to eat the half gallon in two servings?

Sydney July 22, 2010 at 12:15 AM  

Make it in one sitting Eddie.

Photostream

Recent Comments

Followers