Canyon Country Fire



Here are some pictures we took from Grandma's yard. The firestorm was whipping up the wind even more than the Santa Ana's were. In fact when we walked out the wind blew one of my contacts off my eyes (swear it's true!). The feeling was very similiar to the fire that came through in 1971. It wasn't a comfortable memory.
When white smoke started rolling over the hill above Merryhill St. and staying low to the ground, Jeff, Gordon and I were able to convince Grandma to go to Gordon's. She followed my car down Camp Plenty Road. When we got to the bottom of the hill by Sierra Vista, I looked back in my mirror and saw that the hillside above Canyon High and below Whites Canyon was on fire. When we got to Gordon's and watched the news reports, it looked as if 5 homes on Camp Plenty were on fire. After several hours there was nothing more to do than watch the TV so I headed home. When I walked in the door I could still smell the smoke on my clothes.
If you check Jeremy and Kristy's blog, they posted an interesting panoramic of the smoke from the Malibu/Castaic fire. If you double click the picture it will enlarge. At the moment there's 5 or 6 fires blazing through southern California.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

6 comments:

Carlie October 22, 2007 at 2:43 PM  

Those pictures are very unnerving. I'm glad grandma's home is ok. The fires are all over the news. You are all in my prayers. Love you all.
Carlie

Kristy October 22, 2007 at 6:26 PM  

This fire is way to close to home. We are so glad that everyone is safe.

Jennifer October 22, 2007 at 9:05 PM  

That is crazy it didn't dawn on me till my mom called and told me how close it was. What planet do I live on? I am glad it is safe I still want to take Daniel down there so he can see what I love.

Sydney October 22, 2007 at 10:02 PM  

J&K- Did you guys have to evacuate tonight? I heard from another friend who lives in Castaic that they did after the MagicMountain/Stevenson Ranch fire broke out. Keep us posted.
love ya,
S.

Kristy October 22, 2007 at 11:21 PM  

We have not had to evacuate, but we are ready to. I was just up on the Old Ridge Route with my friend and we were watching the flames from the Castaic fire flicker off of the ridge tops on the other side of the freeway. Some of the flames had to be about 50 high. It's odd...the fire seems to be moving against the wind. The wind has been blowing SW all day long, yet the fire has moved NE. We'll keep you posted. -Jeremy

Aimee October 23, 2007 at 2:15 PM  

oh my goodness drink lots of water you guys

Photostream

Recent Comments

Followers