Saturday I was able to attend the Dia de los Meurtos (Day of the Dead) celebration at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Unfortunately, my camera battery died almost immediately so these are the only pictures I have.
When I first learned of this celebration which has it's roots from South America, it seemed a bit macabre to me. The more I learned about it, the more I realized it was actually a joyful celebration inviting the spirits of your deceased loved ones to return for a visit. You construct "alters" to the spirits and include things from all four elements: favorite foods to nourish them from their journey back including a special bread (earth), candles to guide them to you (fire), paper cutouts (represents wind) and water to refresh. Alters also include skeletons to honor the "guest" and to remind you of your own mortality and marigolds also known as "the flower of the dead". Alters can display pictures of your loved ones including pets.
This years alters included one to honor Mel Blanc. It had a small Hollywood Bowl Shell with his various cartoon characters in skeleton form. An annual favorite is the Johnny Ramone alter (yes, of The Ramones fame). His gravesite is on the walkway and includes a full size statue of him playing the guitar in black marble. This year there was quite a bit of North meets South... people in Halloween cosutmes and some in Day of the Dead regalia.
This last picture is of the trunk of a car that was parked at the entrance. It was totally tricked out with Dia de los Meurtos images.
Dia de los Meurtos
Posted by
Sydney
at 10/31/2007 Labels: by Sydney, Posts
0 comments:
Post a Comment