Solvang Century.... We Made It!!!!!

Well, we made it. This years ride was about the best weather we've ever had. I don't think the temperature ever got over 72. What wind there was was only in our face for about 10 miles coming into Santa Maria, then it was at our back all the way up the canyon during the long climbs and up the steep hills.

Cherryl and I left Thursday evening after I got home from work and checked into the hotel only to find out they had mistakenly put us into Syd's room for that night, so the next morning we had to move to our usual room.

Friday Cherryl and I went to Pismo Beach and walked out on the pier to watch the surfers. It must have been very cold; every one of them had full body suits on and some had caps too. But the waves were big and the swells were coming in faster than I can recall ever seeing. Friday night we met up with our friends Bill and Lynn Reynolds and went to register. Syd called and she was with her friends Bob and Chris (nee' White) Bloore. Syd went to school with Chris, and Bob has the distinction of having lived in the Santa Clarita Valley 1 year longer than I have. But he was only 2 or 3 when he moved there, so I have more "Old Time" memories than he does. As it turns out though, Chris, Cherryl and Lynn all went to Chase Elementary school in Panorama City when they were kids. Lynn was even in the same classes in high school ad Cherryl's sister Laura.
But I digress. The next morning it was a little foggy when we left, but after an hour the fog burned off and it got warm enough to take off all the extra layers. Bill has been riding for years and years and even though he'll be 60 next year he can still do the 100 miles in under 6 hours. As it turned out Bob is a big bike rider too so they stayed together and Syd and I went along at our own pace.

The long and short of it was that the ride was beautiful, good company and no accidents or flats. We took our time, Bob and Bill waited for us at each SAG stop and we got in about 2:45 feeling good and with enough energy to race for the finish line. We had a big dinner at AJ Spurs where the waitress tried to corrupt me by giving me a Long Island Ice Tea instead of the Raspberry Lemonaide I asked for. I didn't notice till I took a sip. It tasted like Nyquil. How people enjoy it is beyond me. I guess I have to hand in my Temple recommend now.

Here are some of the pictures we took.

From left to right, Bob, me, Sydney and Bill


This didn't come out near as pretty as it was. The sun is just coming up, the fog is burning off and the low clouds are in the hills in Santa Rosa Canyon.


This is a typical SAG stop where we can get fuel and drink and other necessities. Too bad I lost the picture of Syd coming out of the Kybo.


This is Syd as we went by the Foxen Winery. This ranch house is about 150 years old and way up in the wine country. It's about 25 miles from Santa Maria and in the old days was probably a days ride from anywhere.




This is just some of the beautiful country we rode through. I only had my cell phone camera so the pitcures aren't as good as they could be, but you can get the idea.


I call the the throat of Hell. This is the steepest climb in the ride. It hits at mile 86 and is 3/4s of a mile long at a 7% grade, after 14 miles of constant 3-5% grade. It's steeper than it looks and is only the first of three such climbs at the end of the ride. The one after this is known as "The Wall", then there's Ballard Canyon/Chalk Hill Road that's shorter, but just as steep. That one was part of this years Amgen Tour of California, Stage 5 time trials.


Bill took off and left us after the last SAG stop and beat us all by about 25 minutes.


Us coming in. I was really ahead of Bob and Syd, but I wanted to be a gentleman and good friend so I backed off to let them come in first. I also know Lance Armstrong personally. He's a very good friend. Really.


Me in my "Doo Rag". I had to educate Cherryl about what a Doo Rag is. She thought it was something you used after you did your business in the bathroom.


Eddie, GK, California is calling!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

9 comments:

Sydney March 9, 2008 at 10:12 PM  

I love the pictures Gordon! Thanks for the recap. I'm going to send the link to Chris and Bob.

Aimee March 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

Looks like fun I wish I was there riding with you

Susanna March 10, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

Hi pops good job! I love hearing all the details and pictures. You look smashing in your spandex!

Jennifer March 11, 2008 at 2:13 PM  

Congrats to all.

Aimee March 11, 2008 at 3:50 PM  

matter of fact there was a huge bike race in Moab when we were there. Skinny Tire Festival started the day before we left

Anonymous March 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

All I can say is 'Wish I Was There'! Good job guys!
Truth be told, my spies tell me you had already downed 3/4 of the 'Lemonaide' before 'discovering' that it was an alcoholic beverage:o Yeah! You BETTER turn in that recommend! I hear there is video proof too!!!

Dad Risser March 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM  

Becy,

THEY LIED!!!!!!!. It was only half!

Eddie March 13, 2008 at 6:22 AM  

California is calling? Sorry, loud ringing in my ears, I don't hear it.

Kristy March 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM  

COngRaTulatiOns!!!

Photostream

Recent Comments

Followers