I'm Sorry, Stevie Schmitt, Where-ever You Are!

Soooo... in talking about time flying by and new puppies in the house, it made me think of a story of Me, Sydney, Stevie Schmitt and Pansy The Wonder Dog. Back in the days of our childhood (60's) we owned a little dog named Pansy. I'm sure you young-ins have heard of her and / or seen her picture. Anyway... we used to give her 'dirt baths' because we thought it made her coat shinier (after we brushed all the dirt off, of course). This required us burying that poor, brave, tortured dog in dirt up to her ears. She was such a cooperative soul. Well, one day Sydney and I (around 7 & 4 years of age - give or take) were in our side yard giving Pansy one of her dirt baths, when down the street walks Stevie Schmitt (he was around 5 or 6). We had Pansy halfway buried. He had never witnessed the dirt bath ritual and inquired (with concern) as to what we were doing to Pansy. I immediately piped up (with a voice of disgust) that "we're tired of Pansy so we're going to bury her alive!" Syd obediently followed my cue and kept silent. Horrified, Stevie responded, "don't do that! I like Pansy! I'll take her!" I responded, "you have to ask your mother first and we're not going to wait so you better hurry". Stevie quickly turns to run home (about 4 houses away) calling out, "just wait! I'll be right back!" As soon as he was off and running Syd & I quickly brushed off Pansy and put her in the house. We then ran back to the dirt and piled it up. Soon Stevie was running back yelling, "My mom said I could have her! My mom said I could have her!" The two of us sat there patting that mound of dirt with our little shovels as I looked up and said, "You're too late!" Stevie ran home crying.
Yeah, it was a rotten thing to do... but what a clever trick for one so young. Scary!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

11 comments:

Dad Risser June 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

That WAS cold!!!

Anonymous June 17, 2008 at 3:11 AM  

I do believe you owe Stevie some apologies too. (i.e. phone pranks)

Dad Risser June 17, 2008 at 7:33 AM  

I don't even remember Stevie except that I remember Smitty had a younger brother and sister. Wha'd I do, wrong?

Sydney June 17, 2008 at 9:48 AM  

Gordon please! You don't remember that you and Smitty would call him on the phone and say things like: "we're coming to get you kid" and threaten him anonymously? Between us all I think that poor kid was scarred for life. But I was only 4 and an unwitting accomplice so I'm sure I'm excused ;-)

Dad Risser June 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

It must have meant more to you two than it did to me. Either that or I really am in the early stages of Altzheimers or dementia. I really don't remember any of that.

Anonymous June 17, 2008 at 2:16 PM  

It's neither dementia or Alzheimers - it's called selective memory. You and Smitty would call from our house and threaten Stevie. He would coming running to the house in a panic and you guys would tell him someone was just playing a joke and to go back home. Then you'd call him again. And so on and so on. You should try and track down Smitty:-O

Dad Risser June 17, 2008 at 3:51 PM  

No, I think this is your imagination. I don't remember anything even vaguely like that. I did some stupid things, but I sure don't remember that. If we did it at all it was probably only once and YOUR selective memories have turned it into a series of evil pranks. I think you two are feeding into each others reconstructed memories, like an evil child therapist finding abuse that was never there. Besides, Syd, you were only 4!!! If you were smart enough to remember this you were smart enough to know it was WRONG WRONG WRONG to do. Please!
By the way Syd, we ran into Greg Smith Sunday at Jeremy's sacrament meeting and he told Kayla she reminded him of you. I do see a resemblance now that I look for it.

Sydney June 17, 2008 at 10:04 PM  

I'm flattered but I've always thought Kayla had a bit of her mom in her (and speaking of Cherry- Happy Birthday).
Gordon- I was a brilliant 4 year old. In fact I described a birthday party mom gave me (the house we were in, the cake, the games we played) and she said it was my 2nd or 3rd birthday (I think it was my 3rd). I'm amused that I can remember that and other things from our childhood but I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Dad Risser June 18, 2008 at 7:23 AM  

Amen

Dad Risser June 18, 2008 at 7:23 AM  

But isn't that what happens with Alzheimers?

Aimee June 18, 2008 at 9:09 PM  

I've heard that story and I think it's funny and cruel.

Photostream

Recent Comments

Followers